CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

PASS THE TORCH



Get Ready for Bloggy Olympics!!!

Photobucket Photobucket

Join The 3AM Teacher, the Reading Olympians, and over 80 SUPREME education bloggers as we take you through a tour of the Reading Olympians Root Study Program!!



I am so honored to participate in this blog hop!  This is my first time blogging about a product I've used in the classroom, so I'm super excited:)

I used the First Grade Roots packet in my classroom, with a small intervention group.

First, we read the story about different prefixes and suffixes.  In the story we read about the following prefixes and suffixes:  re-, -ed, -less, -pre, -s, -ful, un-, -er, dis-, -est, and pre-.  The kids had a great time helping me read the words with prefixes and suffixes.  Since I don't have an interactive white board in my classroom, I really wanted to be able to share the book as an electronic version on my iPad, but I couldn't figure out how to open it on my iPad.  Either of those options would be a great way to share the story though:)

Then the students matched word cards (with prefixes and suffixes) to their meaning. 

Beforehand, I laminated the cards and attached velcro, so students could match the words (with prefixes and suffixes) to their meaning.  This was instead of having students cut and glue their own copies.  As this was an intervention sessions, we were limited on time.



 Here is an up close version.


Finally, students worked independently on their own packets to create words using the prefixes and suffixes we talked about.






Discover the program IN ACTION in more K-6th grade classrooms as you Pass the Torch!! Get ideas, discover the progression of the program, and enter the Raffle for a chance to win ONE of the three prizes listed below!!

First Place Winner : Gold Medal

  Prizes: Complete Reading Olympians Program
            $50.00 Amazon Gift Card
            50% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!

Second Place Winner: Silver Medal

   Prizes: $25.00 Amazon Gift Card
              40% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!

Third Place Winner: Bronze Medal

    Prizes: 30% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!




Pass the Torch!!!
Click the image below to link to the next blog.

Kindergarten:



Grade 1 & 2






Grade 3 & 4






Grade 5 & 6


    a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

Confessions of a Teaching Junkie said...

Just an FYI that your torch is not linked to the next blog.
Teresa
Confessions of a Teaching Junkie

Fun in 1st Grade said...

Here is the link the torch should go to..
http://funin1stgrade.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-jr-reading-olympians.html

:) Dana

Susan Cahalane said...

Hi! I just found your blog, I'm your newest follower!

✿Sue✿
Science for Kids Blog

Tasha Whitt said...

I just found your blog and I am a new follower. I love it! I am also a special education teacher. I look forward to reading about your classroom.

~Tasha
A Tender Teacher for Special Needs