CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Monday, October 15, 2012

What I'm Reading Now (School Related)

I'm linking up with Marie at The Hands-On Teacher in First for her Something New Sunday Linky Party:)
LINKY

So I recently finished Divergent, AMAZING!

Product Details

Both of these books are part of series I haven't finished, and I don't have the sequels in hand.  So in the mean time I need something else to read, and since I don't want to start ANOTHER series I'm reading this book for school:  Opening Minds, Using language to change lives.

Product Details

This book is all about how we phrase things and the impact it has on students.  I'm only on chapter 2, but it has already got me thinking about how I say things to my students.

Instead of saying, "Oh you're so smart!" when a student gets an answer correct, the author says you should compliment them on their hard work (that has gotten them the correct answer).  I often fall in to the trap of telling students, "You're so smart."  Since I teach special ed I figured my students (just like any other student) could use all the encouragement I could give them.  According to the author this has actually been detrimental to my students.  So, I have been making a conscious effort to emphasize the hard work students are exerting.  

When testing students, the author suggests saying, "Let's see what you already know."  Implying that if they get any answers correct they are ahead of the game.  I have not been able to smoothly implement this wording yet.  

Have you read this book?  Did you find it helpful?  Did it give you any "catchphrases" you've stuck with?  I'd love to hear what you have to say!

5 comments:

The Hands-On Teacher said...

I haven't read any of these books yet, but I've heard about them several times now! I should look for them and check them out!

I'm having a linky right now for "new things" and this would be perfect to link up with!

Hope you'll come check it out!
Marie
The Hands-On Teacher in First!

Aimee V. said...

I just found you at Marie's Linky Party. I'm your newest follower!!

Aimee
aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

Mrs. Wathen said...

The opening minds book sounds interesting! I have heard several of those things before and try to implement them. I would love to hear more about the book.

I found you on Something New Sunday Linky and am your newest follower:)

Tammy
The Resourceful Apple

Barbara said...

Oooh, Divergent looks good! I'm going to check it out.
❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

~HoJo~ said...

This sounds like a great book! I heard a speaker a few years ago talk about this, but I know I'm due for a refresher! Thanks for posting this! Glad I found you through the linky. :)