CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Aids/Paraprofessionals

Today I'm extra curious how other teachers incorporate aids/paras/volunteers in your classroom.  I know different districts have different expectations, I'm just curious how your school does it.

For example, I have heard of aids supervising all recesses and lunch periods.  A common task is sitting in a regular ed classroom keeping one or multiple students on task by tapping them/reminding them to face the front or stop talking.  In regular and special ed settings I have seen aids work one-on-one with a student reinforcing topics.  I have seen aids make tons of photocopies and cut out lots of laminating (frowned upon by administration).

Can't wait to hear your feedback on what your aids do:)

4 comments:

Sasha Marie said...

My aides are busy bees in my classroom! They run centers, take data, implement behavior interventions, you name it! I set up all all tasks, data sheets, etc. Then I check in every few days. It works super well and we get a ton done!

- Sasha
The Autism Helper

The Hands-On Teacher said...

I teach 1st grade and have a full time aide (I teach in a charter school.)
My Aide takes the students to lunch and recess, but she also helps with small groups during math and with reading groups. I also have her help with grading papers and copying.

We've worked together 5 years now and have a great system. :)

Marie
The Hands-On Teacher in First!

Jenny Zuniga @ Teacher and a Mom said...

Our district has a very strict policy about paraprofessionals having "kid-only" time. So they don't have duties (although do supervise sped students on the playground) and don't make copies, etc. I always had my paras run small groups in the resource room. If they were in a gen ed room, they would help the teacher with all students - with the student they were in there for taking priority if they needed the help.

Jenny
Teacher and a Mom

MissAllison said...

I recently saw this post and I realized I couldn't include everything my aides do in a comment so I wrote a whole post about it! Stop by my blog to check it out.

Allison
Miss Allison's Class