CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Understanding Poverty #8

A Framework to Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne, Ph. D.


Chapter 8 - Instruction and Improving Achievement 

It is very difficult for me to summarize or pick out important points in this chapter because I didn't fully grasp the importance of this chapter.

Some things I did grasp from this chapter:
* students need to learn to identify information as related to a topic or unimportant to a topic
* use graphic organizers
* students need to develop goal setting

I know a lot of you work on goal setting with your students.  This is not something I have done.  I have always set the goals for my students (you need to get 39 points today in order to get a reward for good behavior), and they may not have even know what the goal was (aside from "learning to read" or "learning math facts").  After reading this book I want to work more on students setting their own goals, but I'm not really sure where to start.  How do you ensure that their goals are pertinent and realistic?  Do you start with a framework for the goals and have students fill in what their goal for their level will be?  And then after modeling the framework of goals for a little while, do you then let a student state a goal independently?  I'm just not how to start this easily.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:-D



This concludes my note taking on this book.  I hope you have learned something new and are inspired to read this book.  It is very informative and definitely helped open my eyes a bit to what is going in the lives of some of my students.

No comments: