CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Unwritten Curriculum

I'm linking up with Karla at Life In Special Education for a Linky Party all about the things we teach our kids that are not covered on the standardized tests....Karla has mentioned so many true ones, but I have just a few to add.

1.   Not to get upset when we lose a game
2.   Putting a puzzle together (flip over all pieces, put outside pieces together first, then match colors)
3.   Standing in one spot when we brush our teeth
4.   Using paperclips and rubber bands
5.   Swearing and hitting do not solve our problems
6.   Ignore other people who are not following directions
7.   Washing hands multiple times a day
8.   Plugging in electrical items
9.   Turning on a computer
10. Using the proper amount of glue
11. Not tearing apart almost complete projects when one thing goes wrong

Not to mention all the academic skills the students some how missed that need to be taught before you can teach what the other students are working on (like counting to 5s must be mastered before learning to tell time to the nearest 5 minutes).  But when a student is in 3rd grade, you don't always know (immediately) that the reason they can't tell time is because they can't count by 5s.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

2 comments:

Karla Banks said...

Thanks so much for linking up! Your list is so true. Sometimes it takes a long time to figure out the real reason a skill isn't being mastered. Patience is a must!

Rachel Seymour said...

I'm your newest follower and your blog is absolutely adorable! I love it!

I teach my first graders a lot of non-academic things too and completely agree with your list!

Rachel
A-B-Seymour