CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Paras/Aids

Last year, my first year teaching, I had one para that I had to plan a schedule for in and out of my classroom.  I believe I did a good job building a relationship and keeping her active in the classrooms.  Part of the way through this school year, the school district hired another para to help me with some severe behavior students.  After my "experience" working with a few different paras, including subs and the other paras in my school, I have had some ideas.  I would like to make a "para handbook" to set up guidelines, expectations, strengths, weaknesses, schedules, etc. to help me when working with new paras, and as expectations for me to refer to when things aren't running smoothly.

If you saw my post about FBAs/IEPs, I will be incorporating and expanding upon information along those lines.

If you have any suggestions, words of wisdom, questions, information that teachers learn in teacher ed courses that they take for granted that paras were not taught, etc. I would appreciate any advice.

It is my GOAL to share what ever type of "handbook" I develop with my followers as a FREEBIE:)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

7 comments:

Ms. Rachel said...

This will be a great resource for so many! If you need any help or ideas Id be glad to help...

I have three full time aids in my class!


Rachel
Ms. Rachel’s Room

Brie Holtrop said...

I am finding that in ways, you need to consider paras like you do your students. For example, find their strengths and do everything you can to use them in the areas they are strong in, and to also be aware of the areas they will need extra instruction.

I would love to see what you come up with! I know my mentor teacher takes time each semester to meet with each paraprofessional in her classroom and has them fill out an evaluation, and they then discuss areas they are doing well in, areas they could improve, and also offer suggestions to you.

I also think it's important to show your paraprofessionals that you value their professional opinion as well!

I'm a first year teacher who is also trying to figure this out...

:) Brie @ BreezyPinkDaisies

Class Full of Speical Kinders said...

I can't wait to read your handbook! I was a para for 4 years before getting my credential so I have walked in both shoes.

Jeannie

Kim said...

This is a wonderful idea! Our FMD teacher has a handbook for her paras, I'll see what she has going on and share with you! I also need to make a handbook before next year! I love my para, but not everyone is like her! I think it is a great idea to have something for them to read and know your expectations. Let me know and I would love to help you out with this!!

And thanks for following my blog!
Kim
mrshsresourceroom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My dad always taught me that someone out there is paying attention to what you do, so always do your best. Always be that positive influence in a child's life because what you do or say, don't do or don't say, can change a child's life, or day. It's not always the big lesson or the big plan, it will probably be the the ear for listening, the pat on the back, or the unconditional smile that make will make a child the adult they become. Knowing that someone believes in you and that you matter makes every day worthwhile. I happen to think my dad is one smart cookie!

MissAllison said...

Next year we are combining MD units into 1 building and will have 6 paras between three classrooms. That is a lot of people to manage so we have been planning to create a handbook as well. I found this post to be EXTREMELY helpful: http://myspecialneedsclassroom.com/2011/06/19/working-with-paraprofessionals-what-they-dont-teach-you-in-college/

Hope this helps!
Allison
http://missallisonsclass.blogspot.com/

Julie said...

This is a fabulous idea! I am a mom not a teacher, but I need to put something togther like this for the aids that work with my daughter.