CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog:) Since I am so far away from my friends and family, I want to keep you updated on the fun and trials of my new job. Thank you to everyone for your support, encouragement, and the tips/ideas you may offer!

Monday, August 22, 2011

About Me


Since I'm about to begin a new school year, I'm just putting a little info about me.  I'm putting some things I'm excited for, to help refresh me when I feel overwhelmed during the school year, and I'm putting a weakness so I can continue to work on it this school year, and I'm putting a little about me for my readers:)

Tell us a little something about you...
I moved to the middle of no where exactly a year ago!  I never anticipated how much this place would grow on me.  I found a coworker who has become an awesome roommate and friend.  I have also met a lot of other great people while working here, and they have made me feel right at home...some of them have even made me feel like family.  

My boyfriend lives 2.5 hours away, and he just started med school.  So when we see each other on the weekends and he has to study, I plan on blogging:-D

How long have you been teaching?
I have been teaching grades k-4 emotional behavioral disorders special education for 1 year. 

You might not know...
I am training for a 10k.  Last year, I started jogging with one of my friends from college, and she got me really in to jogging.  When I first started, I couldn't even jog 1 mile without stopping.  I have increased my stamina and can currently jog 4 miles without stopping, only 2.2 miles to go!

What are you looking most forward to this school year?
There are soooo many things I'm looking forward to!!  I am most looking forward to improving on things from last year.  This will be my 2nd year with the majority of my students.  So I am looking to improve on my reading and math teaching strategies.  This year I'm also starting school jobs.  I am implementing a school wide mail system, which my students will be in charge of, and my students will have other responsibilities throughout the school (gardener - waters plants, event coordinator - changes calendar, secretary's assistance - helps with photo copies and such, vet - takes care of class pet, etc.)  
I'm also excited about my classroom theme - baseball, which fits in to our school theme - sports.  I have a huge baseball diamond bulletin board, and each student has a picture of themselves to move around the bases.  When they behave and get there work done they earn opportunities to move their character around the bases and score runs.  Students can use their runs to earn rewards.  On the other hand, when they misbehave they receive strikes, and 3 strikes means they are out.  These strikes and outs directly coordinate with negative reinforcers.

What do you need to improve?
I need to work on planning ahead.  Last year, I typically planned everything the night before.  I would like to have my weekly plans done on Friday every week.  

What teaching supplies can you *not* live without?
Checklists - I use BoardMaker to make daily checklists so my students know what work needs to be completed and they can check it off.
Reading A-Z - I get phonics lessons, printable books, and assessment worksheets from this website ALL the time.
Heavy duty stapler - to staple the books together, so handy:0

No comments: